ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — A petition is circulating that would get rid of the City of Albany flag and replace it with a new design. At issue is the flag’s connection to Dutch white supremacists.
The flag has remained unchanged for 111 years and is based on the prince’s flag of the Netherlands, which was co-opted by white supremacist groups and is similar to the flag used during apartheid in South Africa.
There is a proposed redesign of the flag and the Albany Common Council plans to take up a resolution that would create a commission that would review designs for a new flag.
- Bennington Police search for giant chair vandals
- Emergency restoration needed for Cohoes Library
- Reigning BMX gold medalist Connor Fields stretchered off
- The Diplomatic Security Service: How US athletes are kept safe at the Olympics
- Police searching for vulnerable woman reported missing out of Scotia