One person dead after exposure to Legionnaires’ bacteria

Local
promenadeassistedliving_1550783126834.png

Two people have tested positive for the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease.

Officials say one of those people have died.

The Albany County Health Department had linked both cases to the Promenade Assisted Living facility on Western Avenue in Guilderland.

Officials say samples of water taken from the facility have also tested positive for Legionella.

Legionella is transmitted via inhalation of small droplets of water containing the bacteria, which commonly occurs when water is aerosolized, such as in showers, fountains or hot tubs.  It is not spread from person to person. It can result in severe disease including pneumonia, particularly in individuals who are elderly, or have a weakened immune system or previous history of respiratory problems.

The New York Department of Health has launched an environmental investigation.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

Get it on Google Play