JOHNSTOWN, N.Y. (NEWS10) - One woman has been hospitalized after a house fire on South Melcher Street in Johnstown Wednesday morning.
Officials say the fire began around 5:00 AM. When crews arrived the home was already seriously ablaze. Crews fought the stubborn fire for hours Wednesday morning.
Fire investigators believe the blaze began in a kerosene heater, which the homeowner attempted to extinguish themselves before calling 911. The call to 911 was interrupted, prompting police to respond to the scene, before calling for fire crews.
The homeowner has been hospitalized with minor burns. Officials believe she was the only person home at the time.
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Video of boy in wheelchair jumping on trampoline goes viral
- Chanel: Iconic couturier Karl Lagerfeld has died
- Sen. Bernie Sanders announces 2020 run for president
- Water main break causing road closures in Green Island