GREAT SACANDAGA LAKE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — With more sun and warmer temperatures on the way, local officials are urging boaters to take caution and be prepared when heading out onto the water.
By the year 2025, all operators of a watercraft must have a certificate no matter the age.
According to Sgt. Keith Manners of the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office and instructor of the state boating course, taking the time to be prepared will keep everyone safe on the water.
“Some of the things you want to do is make sure you have done preventative maintenance, checks and services on your boat, make sure you have charting information,” he said. “The biggest thing I want to stress is having a life vest. And not only having it with you but making sure you are wearing it.”
- President Biden’s COVID aid package meets divided Senate
- SpaceX Starship SN10 explodes after nailing landing
- Zero-carbon by 2050? New Energy Secretary’s clean energy goal worries oil and gas industry advocates
- Senate Democrats trim parts of Biden’s COVID-19 aid bill, Republicans threaten delay
- Death Café movement marks 10 years normalizing tough conversations