NORTH HOOSICK, N.Y. (NEWS10) - Several train cars rederailed in North Hoosick Wednesday evening.
According to police, the derailment took place at 196 Hoosick Junction Road. At least five cars derailed, including three propane tankers.
Officials said there were no leaks from the tankers, but surrounding homes were evacuated as a precaution. Rensselaer County emergency officials as well as the Troy Police Department hazmat team were on scene.
Hoosick Junction Road was closed while crews worked the derailment.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a statement about the derailment Wednesday night:
Earlier this evening, a freight train derailed outside of Hoosick Falls causing three propane tankers to derail and roll over. While there are no reports of injuries or leaks, surrounding homes in the immediate vicinity have been evacuated as an emergency precaution.
State emergency personnel, including State Police and environmental and health officials, have been deployed to the scene to ensure the safety of the community. In addition, the State Department of Transportation has an inspector onsite and is supporting the investigation into the cause of the accident.
We will continue to coordinate with local officials and mobilize any other resources necessary to address this incident. The safety of New Yorkers is our number one priority.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 5 burning questions ahead of Tuesday's Oscar nominations
- State lawmakers meet with St. Clare's Hospital pensioners
- Albany residents could be ticketed during snow emergency
- Pipe bursts, ceiling partially collapses at Crossgates Mall