ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The New York Department of Health says there are now 12 confirmed cases of a gastrointestinal illness called Cyclosporiasis.
All the patients say they ate at either the Italian American Center in Albany, the restaurant at the Beltrone Senior Living Facility in Colonie, or a private graduation event at Union College before falling ill.
People can become infected by consuming food or water contaminated with the parasite. Outbreaks have often been associated with imported fresh produce.
Illness typically results in watery diarrhea, and can include loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps, bloating, nausea and fatigue. These symptoms can appear approximately one to two weeks after ingestion of the contaminated source. If untreated, symptoms can last as long as a month or longer and can return one or more times. Infection is generally not transmitted directly from person-to-person.
The DOH recommends anyone with diarrhea for three or more days should reach out to their healthcare provider.
Click here to read more information about Cyclosporiasis.