CAIRO, N.Y. (NEWS10) — A mass food distribution event is planned for residents of Greene County communities on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. The event takes place at Cairo Durham High School on State Route 145.
As Greene County faces layoffs and furloughs due to coronavirus, many are experiencing food insecurity. The event represents an effort to give supplemental and emergency food support to those who are struggling. All in need are welcome, and no registration is necessary.
Food from the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York will be pre-packaged and given out in a drive-thru line. Event organizers are asking people not to show up before 9:30 a.m.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Albany and the Regional Food Bank are teaming up to back the event, their first-ever distribution in Cairo. Together, the two groups have delivered over 800,000 pounds—or 400 tons—of food to over 30,000 people so far in 2020.
- Man arrested for arson after Elks Lodge fire
- Trump gets endorsement of NYC police union
- Over $470k donated after North Carolina boy fatally shot at point-blank range while playing
- SU Football players sit out of practice again over COVID-19 concerns
- Lawmaker: Trump’s executive order to prevent evictions has ‘no force of law’