Firefighter hospitalized while battling Colonie house fire


A firefighter was taken to the hospital with chest pains while fighting a house fire on Island View Road in Colonie Thursday morning.

The fire early Thursday totally destroyed the home, the only things left standing in the rubble a chimney and several support beams. 

Fire officials say no one was home when the fire broke out, but luckily next-door neighbors reacted quickly and were able to get out safely and call 911.

“Luckily, they were home,” said Ed Potyrala, Former Bought Fire Chief. “If there was nobody there, with the intense heat, their home would’ve ignited as well.”

The fire in the home was fed primarily from the basement, making the work of putting it out difficult for responding firefighters as debris from the home’s upper levels collapsed all the way down.

It took fire crews several hours to extinguish the flames. Luckily, no residents were home at the time of the fire, though one firefighter was taken to the hospital for reports of chest pain. Potyrala says similar injury can be common.

“You have to stop and think there’s a lot of adrenaline rush,” said Ptyrala. “I mean you’re working pretty hard. Firefighters have 65-70 lbs of gear on, pushing hose. There’s a lot that goes into it so sometimes it happens.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Click Below to set up your cable box

No Neighbor Hungry Campaign

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak