Fire Chief: East Durham house fire caused by worn wiring on stove

Local

EAST DURHAM, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Emergency crews are responding to a fire on Route 145 in East Durham Friday morning.

Crews remained on scene around 5:00 a.m., though the Oak Hill Durham Fire Department Fire Chief tells NEWS10 ABC that the fire has been extinguished.

Chief Connie Whitbeck says the family in the home called 911 after they spotted a small fire in their kitchen. Whitbeck says the fire was contained to the kitchen and was sparked by an old stove with worn wires.

The family was luckily able to make it out of the house with plenty of time. However, Whitbeck says that while the home did have smoke detectors, they were non-functional and did not go off, which could have made the situation much worse.

“Check you smoke detectors,” says Chief Whitbeck. “For some reason, they didn’t go off. Fortunately, the homeowner woke up and was able to call us to get out safely.”

NEWS10 ABC has a crew at the scene and will continue to update this story with the latest information.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

Get it on Google Play