COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Following an investigation, the Colonie Police Department says that the fatal shooting at the Days Inn on Central Avenue was accidental.
The 29-year-old victim has now been identified as Denzel Grimes. Grimes had been a resident at the motel’s room #337 since March.
On Sunday, he accidentally discharged a 9 mm handgun, shooting himself in the groin area, which led to his death later on Sunday. An autopsy performed at Ellis Hospital identifies the cause of death as blood loss from an accidental gunshot wound.
The police refer to the weapon as an illegal Jennings/Bryco Arms model 59. The origins of the weapon are currently under investigation, though it is not reported stolen.
Colonie Police say the case is closed, and no charges will be filed.
- Biden officially secures enough electors to become president after California certifies
- Reed: Trump’s NDAA veto threat is harmful to the troops
- More COVID-19 cases confirmed in Shenendehowa CSD
- 5 more arrests made in connection to death of 12-year-old Columbia Co. girl
- 120 new COVID-19 cases announced in Schenectady Co. Dec. 4