Family speaks out after friends leave teenager to die


The family of Liam McGlinchey is relieved to find out that two people have been charged in connection with the 2017 death of their 19-year-old son.

State Police in Clifton Park charged Samuel Heroux, 21, of Cohoes, as well as a 19-year-old man with Criminally Negligent Homicide. The 19-year old’s name is not being released due to his age at the time of the crime.

Liam McGlinchey spent much of his life living in Donegal, Ireland working on his family’s sheep farm. When he turned 19, he decided to spend some time in the United States living with his 93-year-old grandmother at her home in Clifton Park.

“His aunts called him ‘Lovable Liam’ because he was so sweet,” said Ruth Savastio. 

McGlinchey had been working at the nearby Hannaford Supermarket Warehouse. The day before he died, he had proudly earned his GED.

On the night of August 24, 2017, Savastio remembers her grandson told her around 8 p.m. that he was going out with friends for just a couple of hours.

“I waited up for him. I thought, ‘well, they must be having a good time,’ so I went to bed around 10. When I got up in the morning, I always look out to see where the paper is, and I saw something. It turned out to be his leg.” 

State Police say McGlinchey became highly intoxicated that night, and when he started stumbling, his friends decided to bring him home.

Investigators said he never even made it to the front door. The boys left him lying in the lawn where his grandmother found him.

“That was a tough experience,” said Savastio. “I remember I was wondering where his glasses were because he told me he couldn’t see without them. So they left him there without his glasses. They must have been in the car.”

Toxicology reports revealing McGlinchey’s blood alcohol content at the time of his death was .40 percent, which is five times the legal limit.

The legal drinking age in Ireland is 18.

His aunt, a retired emergency room nurse, said the family fully believes Liam’s death could have been prevented.

“He would have survived had these kids got him the proper treatment. I don’t understand why someone would hesitate to do that, but apparently it happened here,” she said.

“I have to think they feel badly about it. I think it’s something they’ll never forget,” said Savastio.

Saratoga County District Attorney Karen Heggen said she gives State Police a lot of credit for their work on this lengthy investigation. Their work was presented to a grand jury, who decided to hand up the indictment.

“Some people might think the time period from when this happened to the indictment is a long period. I would say to you, that it’s a thorough period of time,” said Heggen.

More details regarding exactly what happened that night will likely be revealed once the trial gets underway. NEWS10 ABC was told that will likely begin in July.

Criminally negligent homicide is punishable by up to four years in prison.

Both men were arraigned in Saratoga County Court and remanded to the Saratoga County Jail pending a bail application hearing.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Click Below to set up your cable box

No Neighbor Hungry Campaign

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak