RENSSELAER, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Crews are battling a fire at 24 Broadway in Rensselaer Tuesday morning.
A woman who lives across the street says the house went up in flames in a matter of seconds.
It’s a two family home and one person was upstairs when the flames broke out but was able to safely get out.
Several neighbors kept telling me about one man who ran into one of the building and really sprang into action here this morning.
“I live in the green house over there and I was coming out for work around 9 a.m. and told my partner to call 911. I grabbed my garden hose and started putting water on it, it was better than nothing. Flames were coming out the right window there,” Mike Masias, a neighbor, said.
At the same time, he called his neighbors to tell them to get home. He then grabbed his neighbors two dogs now safe in his shed in the back.
One of the neighbors taken to hospital she was having breathing troubles and a firefighter was feeling dizzy at one point.
No other injuries were reported in the fire.
The building is a total loss and will likely have to be torn down.