Crews responded to a fire at Remco Plastics in Richmondville Monday afternoon.
Fire Chief Gary Rightmyer says the owner is a subcontractor who manufactures and molds small plastic products. When they initially arrived on the scene they were concerned about chemical exposure.
Fortunately, firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to one side of the building and it did not reach those chemicals; however, the flames did destroy his main office and a lot of his shipping material.
“The owner does plastic fabrications for companies so a lot of material and shipping material and some old machinery in there that he uses for fabrications”
Because the roof of the building is concrete they weren’t able to drill a hole for ventilation which made their firefight a little more difficult. It took about an hour and a half to get the fire knocked down.
It’s still not clear how the fire started. No one was here at the time the owner had apparently just left for lunch a little while before it broke out. A neighbor called 911 to report the smoke and flames.
Every firefighter is a volunteer, so manpower was short at first as they all made their way from their full-time jobs.
Initially, firefighters went right in to attack the flames but one of the floors became unstable and they were all ordered to fight the fire from outside.
The owner also had a few motorcycles stored here including at least one antique but that firefighters were able to remove them and they were not damaged.
Everyone is okay but this building did sustain significant damage.