ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The local chapter of Extinction Rebellion plans to hold a series of demonstrations in the capital on Friday.
Extinction Rebellion of the Capital Region will meet for a procession beginning at 11:30 a.m. at Academy Park on the east side of the Capitol Building. They will move to move to 110 State Street at noon.
Climate activists say their goal for Friday is to disrupt business as usual with music, graphics, and theatrics. They hope to connect the dots between fossil fuel companies and institutions that support them.
The environmental movement—which tries to compel the government to act on the climate crisis through nonviolent acts of civil disobedience—says they expect several dozen arrests.
- Albany Academy boys golf sets impressive milestone with 250 straight regular season wins
- Curry, Stormo granted NCAA waivers
- Chatham closes regular season with win over Cairo-Durham
- Capital Region theaters welcome back movie goers
- 50 million and counting: 11 days out, early voting in 2020 surpasses 2016 total