Capital Region native, wife die in Mexico; family struggles to bring bodies back


Ed Winders and his wife Barbara Moller were vacationing in the Mexican town of San Miguel de Allende.

Both were found dead on November 17 at their Air BnB rental after the owner hadn’t heard from them in a couple days.

The couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning. A hotel heater’s faulty ventilation is to blame for the deaths.

With an ongoing investigation, their children are finding road blocks in their efforts to bring their dad and mom back home including financial, legal and language barriers.

The investigation is expected to last a few more weeks. This means both Ed’s and Barbara’s bodies will remain in Mexico for the time being.

No death certificate has been released.

The listing where the couple stayed has been taken down. Air BnB released the following statement Thursday:

We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our thoughts are with Ed and Barbara’s families, loved ones and friends. We are reaching out to their children to extend our full support to help them through this difficult time.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Click Below to set up your cable box

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak

Classroom Progress Report

More Classroom Progress Report