ST. JOHNSVILLE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — An Ilion man has died after first responders pulled his body from the East Canada Lake on the Montgomery County/Herkimer County line.
Around 8:30 a.m. Friday, a Montgomery County deputy was called to the lake for a report of an unoccupied kayak with personal belongings. A witness also told police they saw a man in the water near the kayak who appeared to struggle and go under.
Multiple agencies responded and a search began on land and in the water.
The body of Donald Stannard, 57, of Ilion, was located in about 10 ft. of water. He was pronounced deceased at the scene by the Montgomery County coroner.
- Virtual Siro’s Cup raises $75,000 for Center for Disability Services
- Pres. Trump pulled from White House briefing by Secret Service, says ‘suspect’ was shot outside
- Digital Exclusive: Stefanik on coronavirus in North Country; 2020 election; aluminum tariffs
- Stefanik presents Congressional Record commending Glens Falls Hospital
- Trump’s unemployment benefit orders ‘are complete mess’