At least ten homes evacuated after gas leak in Schenectady

Local

At least ten homes were evacuated early Thursday morning due to a gas leak in the area of Grant Ave and Hulett Street, officials said.

Snow falling off the roof of a house on the street caused the leak, which has now been brought under control by fire crews. Crews evacuated five residents from the affected home and approximately ten surrounding houses as a precaution. All residents have now returned to their home and are unharmed.

Police say icy road conditions were a major impediment to getting crews to the scene Thursday morning. CDTA assisted by bringing a bus to the scene to keep the evacuated residents out of the rain.

NEWS10 ABC has a crew at the scene and will continue to update this story with the latest details.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download our news app

Get it on Google Play