The Annual Police Officers Memorial Remembrance Ceremony will be held at the Empire State Plaza Tuesday afternoon, remembering police officers from all over New York State who served, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice.
The ceremony begins at 1:00 p.m.. 63 names will be added to the memorial on the Empire State Plaza, including some who made a deep impact here in the Capital Region.
Superintendent Wayne Bennett will be among the additions this year. He served in the New York State Police for 38 years, earning numerous distinctions, including police superintendent, before he retired from the force and earned a new title in public safety, Schenectady’s public safety commissioner. Bennett died in 2017 following a cancer diagnosis.
Trooper Michael Anson’s name will also be added to the memorial Tuesday. Anson died in 2018 from a 9/11-related illness. He is among 59 others who will be honored Tuesday following ground zero-related illness.
Trooper Jeremy VanNostrand and Trooper Nicholas Clark’s names will be among the few honored Tuesday who will be honored for line of duty deaths, both men died in 2018.
Drivers in the area should be aware of a number of road closures and parking restrictions:
Tuesday May 7, 2019 the following road closures and parking restrictions will be in effect for the Police Memorial Event:
Road Closures between the hours of 7AM and 4PM:
1. Pine Street between N. Pearl Street and Lodge Street
2. Lodge Street between Corning Place and Steuben Street
3. Chapel Street between Pine Street and Columbia Street
4. Steuben Street between Lodge Street and Chapel Street
Parking Restrictions between the hours of 7AM and 4PM:
1. Pine Street both north and south sides from Chapel Street to Lodge Street
2. Lodge Street both east and west sides from Pine Street to Steuben Street
3. Lodge Street, west side from Corning Place to State Street
4. Eagle Street, both east and west sides from Washington Ave to Elk Street
5. Madison Avenue north side from west of the Plaza Bridge west to S. Swan Street
6. State Street, both north and south sides from Sw. Swan Street east to the Empire State Plaza entrance
At the conclusion of church services there will be a procession of police personnel from St. Mary’s Church located at Pine Street and Lodge Street. The procession will head west on Pine Street to Washington Avenue to S. Swan Street; turn south on S. Swan Street to State Street; turn east on State Street to the entrance to the Empire State Plaza. This procession is scheduled to start around 12:00 Noon and should last approximately 30 minutes.
Vehicular traffic will be detoured to held during the procession. Motorist should expect delays during this period and may want to consider alternate routes of travel around the event.