ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Walter Street in Albany, between North 1st and North 2nd Streets, will be closed to traffic on Friday to make way for Albany Playstreets. Much like Albany’s Outdoor Cafe program, it blocks cars from the roadway so other activities can take place in outdoor spaces.
Although the coronavirus has postponed and cancelled many of summer programs that bring the community together, Albany Playstreets creates an environment where pedestrians can engage while social distancing.
Everyone who enters the Playstreets area must wear a face mask, and capacity will be limited.
Jonathan Jones, head of Recreation and Youth Services in Albany, says they hope to replicate the program across the city throughout the summer.
- Porch pirate steals cat as doorbell camera records
- Tesla on autopilot slammed into deputy’s patrol car, Washington sheriff’s office says
- Gray discusses paid family, medical leave with Vermont caregivers, business owners
- Off the Beaten Path: Famous Lunch
- Historic Albany Foundation opens preservation award applications