(CNN) — A Utah police dog killed in action is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo was a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois who served with Herriman City’s Police Department.
He helped with more than 100 felony arrests.
On February 13, he suffered a fatal gunshot wound while helping apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
To honor him the department asked Rawtin Garage to paint this casket. It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service.
HPD Chief Troy Carr says Hondo died so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place February 29.
- Newsfeed Now: Presidential debate preparations; FBI announces possible election interference
- Whitehall High School storm restoration to take until March 2021
- Where to watch: SU football vs. Clemson
- As pandemic fatigue sets in, Vermont mental health experts say there are ways to cope
- Ghislaine Maxwell denied inappropriate action by Jeffrey Epstein in newly released 2016 deposition