(CNN) — A Utah police dog killed in action is being buried in a custom coffin.
Hondo was a 7-year-old Belgian Malinois who served with Herriman City’s Police Department.
He helped with more than 100 felony arrests.
On February 13, he suffered a fatal gunshot wound while helping apprehend a suspect in Salt Lake City.
To honor him the department asked Rawtin Garage to paint this casket. It features an image of Hondo and symbols of his service.
HPD Chief Troy Carr says Hondo died so his handler could live.
A public service for Hondo will take place February 29.
- Hospitals overflowing with bodies as virus deaths surge in New York City
- Tyson Foods to give $60 million in bonuses for frontline workers
- 4/1/2020: Cool start, but more sun and warmer temps on the way
- Member of the 1985 national championship team impressed with turnaround
- Spring sports pose new challenges for schools