ILION, N.Y. (NEWS10) — According to state police, Ali N. Al Shugaa, 32, of Utica was arrested last week following a joint investigation into illegal sales from his smoke shop.
Local police and the state police Violent Gang and Narcotics Enforcement Team executed a search warrant on Liberty Smokeland on Central Avenue in Ilion on October 2. Using evidence from the search, authorities made a case against Al Shugaa.
On Tuesday, October 13, they arrested Al Shugaa. He’s charged with:
- Possession of over 30,000 untaxed cigarettes
- Fourth-degree criminal possession of marijuana
- Unlawful sale of fireworks
With convictions, these charges could carry as much as eight years, according to maximum state sentencing guidelines.
- Local law will fine drivers caught on camera passing stopped school buses
- Group protests recent Minnesota police shooting
- Governor Cuomo green lights in-person graduations
- Siena earns spot in MAAC final with 2-1 win over Rider
- Biden meets with bipartisan group of lawmakers to discuss American Jobs Plan