ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo urged caution on Wednesday ahead of a winter storm system that could make driving dangerous on Thursday and Friday.
The difficult driving conditions of snow, rain, and the dreaded wintry mix may make travel hazardous over the next several days.
The icy system is forecast to roll in late on Wednesday and continue in waves until early Saturday. Meteorologists expect the greatest impact on Thursday morning and Friday evening.
Cuomo says that agencies on high alert are preparing to clear out roadways on both days to make way for commuters: “Our state agencies have been closely monitoring this impending storm and are ready to deploy any necessary assets to keep the roads clear and respond to any potential emergencies,” Governor Cuomo said.
Precipitation will fall throughout the state through Saturday morning, though local temperatures and elevations will determine whether it’s snow or rain. In the capital region, up to half a foot of snow is possible. Ice should be under a tenth of an inch with rainfall under a half-inch.
The National Weather Service has already issued many winter weather warnings. Remember safe driving techniques:
- Only drive when necessary
- Share travel plans
- Clear ice and snow off vehicles
- Stock the car with blankets, a shovel, a flashlight, batteries, warm clothes, tire chains, jumper cables, bright cloth for a distress flag, and calorie-dense, high-energy snacks
- Keep the battery for your phone or two-way radio charged and close by
- Fill your gas tank
- Plan stops
- Match speed to road and weather conditions
- Bridges freeze faster than roads
- Slow down when approaching patches of slippery, wet leaves
- Follow at a safe distance between cars
- Gloversville police arrest 1 over shots fired incident
- Appeals court strikes down immigrant licenses law challenge
- Tennesseean nets 21 traffic tickets after pursuit from Greene to Ulster Counties
- Albany Police arrest teen with stolen, loaded handgun
- Brightly burning meteor seen across wide areas of Japan