SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The New York Racing Association (NYRA) welcomed Governor Kathy Hochul to Saratoga Race Course on Saturday, August 28, where she presented the Man o’ War Cup to the connections of Essential Quality.
The Travers Trophy, known as the Man O’ War Cup was designed by Tiffany & Co., named for Samuel Riddle’s great Champion, donated the trophy as the permanent award. A gold-plated replica is presented to the winner every year by a member of the Riddle family.
“The New York Racing Association thanks our fans for their tremendous support today and throughout the 2021 summer meet here at historic Saratoga Race Course, and we look forward to closing out the meet with fan appreciation week,” said NYRA President & CEO Dave O’Rourke.” We would also like to thank Gov. Hochul for joining us today to witness history and present the Man o’ War Cup.”
The Travers Stakes was named in honor of William R. Travers, one of the founders of America’s oldest racecourse, by NYRA.
Mr. Travers made his mark on the sports of horse racing, when his horse Kentucky, won the first race in 1864. Travers has become a prestigious event, in which a race that was designed for only extraordinary three-year-old horses.
On August 24, Gov. Hochul made history by becoming the first female governor in New York State history.
More from NEWS10
- New York Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker resigns
- Big Game Bound: Key showdown between Bucs and Rams highlights Week 3 NFL slate
- National Coffee Day: Dunkin’ offering free medium coffee for North Country members
- Albany HS’s Homecoming and Hall of Fame events canceled due to COVID
- Gov. Hochul reaffirms support for new ‘Less is More’ law despite police pushback