AMSTERDAM, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Amsterdam police have arrested John J. Sanders, 80, of Amsterdam on September 9 for reportedly placing nails behind the tires of multiple police vehicles.
On August 22, police said they were notified by maintenance staff that a large amount of nails were placed behind the tires of multiple Amsterdam police vehicles parked at the Public Safety building. After reviewing security footage, police saw a male with a bag tossing the nails behind the tires of five patrol vehicles.
Police later saw the man driving a SUV past the police headquarters. Police said they got a partial license plate off the vehicle.
Police located and pulled the vehicle over for a traffic stop. Sanders was interviewed and taken into custody for driving with a suspended license. Police said items found in the vehicle connected Sanders to the nail incident at the Public Safety building.
Sanders has been charged with:
- Reckless endangerment in the second degree
- Obstructing governmental administration
- Attempted criminal mischief in the third degree
- Criminal nuisance in the second degree
All four charges are misdemeanors. Sanders was arraigned in Amsterdam City Court and released.
- Teen organizes sleep-out in Bennington, urges governor to help homeless
- Chemung County Torture-Murder suspects transferred to Chemung County Jail
- Impacts of the Pandemic: Mental Health
- Snoop Dogg, Martha Stewart to host new ‘very tasty’ Halloween baking challenge
- Great Danes fall to #5 Villanova in the rain