COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Following an investigation, the Colonie Police Department says that the fatal shooting at the Days Inn on Central Avenue was accidental.
The 29-year-old victim has now been identified as Denzel Grimes. Grimes had been a resident at the motel’s room #337 since March.
On Sunday, he accidentally discharged a 9 mm handgun, shooting himself in the groin area, which led to his death later on Sunday. An autopsy performed at Ellis Hospital identifies the cause of death as blood loss from an accidental gunshot wound.
The police refer to the weapon as an illegal Jennings/Bryco Arms model 59. The origins of the weapon are currently under investigation, though it is not reported stolen.
Colonie Police say the case is closed, and no charges will be filed.
- Pownal man turns himself in after shooting out a parked car’s rear window
- Albany Police investigate early morning Philip Street shooting
- Texas man thought coronavirus was a hoax, dies after ‘COVID party,’ doctor says
- Montgomery County man facing assault, strangulation charges after knocking man out during fight
- MGM Springfield reopens Monday: What guests can expect