ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The number of hunting-related shooting incidents statewide is at its lowest number since the 1960’s the N.Y.S Department of Conservation’s report said. Incidents in 2019 totaled 12, 7 were related to big game hunts and 5 were related to small game/other hunts.
The DEC’s report said the number of hunters has decreased by approximately 20%. They said it hasn’t outpaced the decrease in hunting-related shooting incidents which has decreased by approximately 80% since the 1960s.
Locally, Joshua R. Morgan, 20, was killed in a hunting accident in Herkimer County after being accidentally shot in the neck/shoulder area.
Previously News10 ABC reported that Morgan had been shot by another person in his hunting party on the morning of Nov. 17 and pronounced dead on the scene. Morgan was shot at close range in the neck and shoulder area during a deer drive, according to the Hunting Safety Statistics 2019 report from the DEC.
Hunting-related incidents 2019
- Nov. 3 – self-inflicted shot into thigh and down knee
- Dec. 7 – self-inflicted shot to the face
- Nov. 17 – fatal accidental shooting of Joshua Morgan
- Dec. 7 – hunter shot in the abdomen by another shooter from 59 yards away
- Sept. 17 – self-inflicted gunshot to both feet
- Nov. 25 – tractor-trailer driver received cuts to face after a shot shattered a window of the truck cab.
- Dec. 1 – victim struck in the neck while driving
- Nov. 3 – self-inflicted shot into lower arm and back
- May 15 – victim shot in middle finger by relative
- Sept. 15 – a passenger in a vehicle struck in cheek with one pellet
- Jan. 26 – victim hit with one pellet in the left cheek by hunting partner
- Dec. 1 – self-inflicted shot into right foot
The entire report can be found here.
- History in Bronze: Great Barrington’s Newsboy Statue and Fountain
- New York venues unite for #lightsUPstateNY initiative
- Avoiding the virus: Here’s how to manage your risk
- World War II veteran beats COVID-19 in time to mark 104th birthday
- Where are you in the vaccine line? NY Times tool has an estimate