CAIRO, N.Y. (NEWS10) — A Greene County man has been arrested after a domestic dispute. New York State Police said Joel Couvertier, 40, of Cairo, was arrested on May 25.
On May 24, police were called to a home on County Route 39 in Cairo. When troopers arrived, police said the suspect fled the area in a black Chevy pick-up truck. Police found that Couvertier physically assaulted, choked, and prevented the victim from calling 911.
Police said the assault happened in front of three children. Couvertier also had a valid order of protection against the victim and the children in the home. He turned himself in on May 25.
- First-degree criminal contempt (felony)
- Criminal obstruction of breathing (misdemeanor)
- Third-degree assault (misdemeanor)
- Fourth-degree criminal mischief (misdemeanor)
- Second-degree criminal contempt (misdemeanor)
- Endangering the welfare of a child (misdemeanor)
Couvertier was arraigned in the Town of Cairo Court. He was remanded to the Greene County Jail.