COHOES, N.Y. (NEWS10) — The Cohoes Police Department issued a warning about a phone scam targeting registered sex offenders in the area.
Police said registered sex offenders have been receiving calls from a person who claims to be a law enforcement official saying that the offender is not complying with the registration requirements. Police said the caller claims there is a warrant for the offender’s arrest or says there is a court order to obtain a new DNA sample.
The caller is saying the only way for the registered sex offenders to resolve the issue is to buy a cash card or arraign a money transfer, police said.
Cohoes Police said officers never request that registered sex offenders provide money to comply with registration requirements.
Anyone receiving such a scam call should not make any transaction, and should contact the Cohoes Police Department at (518) 237-5333 to file a report.
- Edinburg High football player who attacked referee charged
- Police need help finding missing Colonie teen
- Bethlehem Central High school to remain fully remote until Dec. 8, two new cases reported
- REPORT: Pfizer halves vaccine distribution over supply chain issues
- Expiration dates on driver’s licenses that expired after February pushed to 2021