WOODSTOCK, N.Y. (NEWS10)–At one time, New York State had a hundred fire towers spread across the state’s forests. These fire towers were maned up until 1990 when the last one closed. Now, they make a great day trip destination. The Catskills are home to five such towers, spread across several counties.
Each tower trail is a moderate hike ranging from a three-mile round trip like the Red Hill Fire Tower in the town of Claryville to the six-mile round trip at Overlook Mountain just north of downtown Woodstock.
Due to concerns over COVID-19, the towers are closed for now, but the trails offer a great destination if you need to escape and want some fresh air. Before you head up, make sure to read the information board at the trailhead, sign in, and follow the trail markers.
For more information on the Catskills Five Fire Tower go to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation website.
- Social Dilemma: Do you let your spouse read your text messages?
- Dunkin’s free coffee Mondays begin Aug. 3
- As a new week begins, here’s why you don’t have that second stimulus check
- 08/03/2020: The calm between the storms
- Early morning motorcycle crash closes all lanes on Northway northbound between Exit 20, 21