ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Capital Region lawmakers wrote a letter to Governor Kathy Hochul urging her to support the upgrade for Wadsworth Public Health Labs at the Harriman Campus in Albany. The $750 million consolidation and upgrade is included in the state budget for 2021-22.
In the letter, lawmakers highlighted Wadsworth Labs role in the battle against COVID-19, its aging infrastructure and how many jobs are tied to the facility. The letter also pushed for an updated traffic and planning study be ordered to help transform the eastern end of Harriman Campus to help better connect and integrate the campus.
The legislators who signed the letter include:
- Assemblymember Patricia Fahy
- Senator Neil Breslin
- Assemblymember John McDonald
- Albany County Executive Daniel McCoy
- Albany County Legislature Chair Andrew Joyce
- Albany Mayor Kathleen Sheehan
- Albany Common Council President Corey Ellis
- Albany Common Councilmember Ginnie Farrell
The funding for the project has been included in previous budgets, but construction has not yet started. The budget was passed in April under former Governor Andrew Cuomo.
More from NEWS10
- Gabby Petito’s ‘odd’ final text message revealed
- No more quarantine for kids? School districts try ‘Test and Stay’ COVID testing model
- Glens Falls man raising money for Upstate New York Autism Alliance
- Off the Beaten Path: The Great Saratoga Museum Treasure Hunt
- 98.3 TRY Social Dilemma: Should I Wear the Wedding Dress My Mom Died In?