HAMPDEN, Mass. (WWLP) — Firefighters from Hampden, Wilbraham, Monson, and Somers, Connecticut have been trying to put out a brush fire on Minnechaug Mountain that had been burning since Saturday.
According to the Hampden Fire Department, crews were on Minnechaug Mountain Saturday and returned Sunday for 12 hours to help put out the fire that was burning deep in the ground instead of outward.
The steep terrain, dry conditions and winds made it difficult to put out the fire. Crews are returning Monday to make sure the fire is completely out.
The following departments assisted with the fire:
- Wilbraham Fire Department
- West Stafford Fire Department
- Stafford Fire Department
- Somers Fire Department
- Monson Fire Department
- East Longmeadow Fire Department
- District 11 Fire Warden
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Action Ambulance Service Inc.
- 10/25/20: Cool with Showers for Monday
- Spirit of Liberty Foundation honors Albany Stratton VA healthcare workers
- Tyler Bass, Bills defense lead the way in 18-10 win over the Jets
- Local Halloween store finds way to safely wear costumes during pandemic
- Episcopal bishop to resign over same-sex marriage stance