Brunswick house fire leaves man airlifted to burn unit


BRUNSWICK, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The fire is out, but little is left of the home at 5 Lake Hills Rd. in the Town of Brunswick.

The flames were intense when crews got to the scene around 1:30 a.m., but they were able to knock the fire down within 15 minutes. The home is a total loss.

Center Brunswick Fire Chief Elwood Dalba said 33-year-old Gregory Tworek was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center Burn Unit.

Tworek was the only person inside the house when the fire broke out, and he was out by the time firefighters got here. He ran to a neighbor’s home for help, and she was the one to call 911.

Dalba said the owner of the home was burned when he ran back inside to save his dog, but he was overcome by the smoke and flames and came back outside. Unfortunately, the dog did not make it.

Neighbors say when Tworek came back out, his face was covered in soot, and his head and hands were badly burned.

Investigators are now combing through what’s left. They brought in a K-9 unit to help figure out how the fire started.

The neighbors said the homeowners had been renovating the home, and now they wonder if that had anything to do with the cause, but firefighters haven’t commented.

The whole street was without power, but National Grid was working to restore it.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Click Below to set up your cable box

Download our news app

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Coronavirus Outbreak

More Coronavirus Outbreak

Classroom Progress Report

More Classroom Progress Report