GENEVA (AP) — Breakdancing has been confirmed as an official Olympic sport.
The International Olympic Committee’s pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.
The IOC executive board also confirmed skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing for Paris. Those three sports will make their Olympic debuts at the Tokyo Games which were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Tokyo opening ceremony is July 23, 2021.
Paris organizers need time to prepare and so the IOC kept its schedule to confirm the 2024 sports this month.
- Facebook banning ads for gun accessories until after Inauguration Day
- Taron Johnson makes ‘franchise altering play’ as Bills punch their ticket to AFC Championship game
- Siena breaks record with 16th straight win
- Betty White marks 99th birthday Sunday; up late as she wants
- Teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant