AUSTRALIA (CNN) — Australia’s oldest hippo, Brutus, has died at 54 years of age.
The beloved animal at Adelaide Zoo was one of the oldest hippos in captivity in the world.
Zoo keepers and veterinary staff were concerned about his deteriorating age-related conditions.
He was put to sleep humanely on Thursday.
Brutus had been at Adelaide Zoo for 45 years.
He was born at Taronga Zoo in Sydney in 1965.
- Multiple dog tags among odd items found in 445-pound gator’s stomach
- Off-duty Pentagon officer charged with second-degree murder after 2 killed in Takoma Park shooting
- Sheriff: Camper missing since Tuesday dies, wife rescued in Death Valley National Park
- ‘I’ll walk if you walk’: Story behind Prince Philip walking with Harry, William at Princess Diana’s funeral
- Pfizer, BioNTech ask FDA to approve use of vaccine in children ages 12 to 15