ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Ana Liss, Monroe County’s director of planning and development and former aide to Governor Andrew Cuomo, is one of the women accusing Gov. Cuomo of inappropriate behavior.
She released this statement Thursday night:
“Today, I spoke with the legal team appointed by New York Attorney General Letitia James to conduct an independent investigation into the sexual harassment allegations against Governor Andrew Cuomo. I met with the investigators via Zoom over the course of two hours. I answered many questions about my time in the Governor’s office from 2013 to 2015, detailing instances of unsolicited attention paid to me by the Governor and the sexually hostile work environment perpetuated by him and senior staff. As was outlined in the statement issued by Charlotte Bennett’s attorney, this investigation is not just focused on the Governor but on the pervasive, arbitrary, and severe conduct tolerated and propagated by the Governor. During my time in the Executive Chamber, it was a toxic, verbally abusive, retaliatory workplace, especially for young women like myself. Sexual harassment on the Governor’s behalf is a significant piece of the investigation, but he neither is nor was the only person in the administration responsible for offensive conduct ranging from scatological name-calling to outright objectification of women’s bodies. Among many questions, one inquiry pertained to a senior advisor to the Governor contacting me in the days following Lindsey Boylan’s first public statement about her allegations in December 2020. I look forward to continued cooperation with this effort, and I support others who may wish to come forward.”
— Ana Liss
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Ana Liss, Monroe County’s director of planning and development, is one of the women accusing Gov. Andrew Cuomo of inappropriate behavior.
Liss, a former aide for the governor, confirmed to News 8 that the New York State Attorney General’s Office has contacted her about scheduling an interview in regards to the office’s investigation into the allegations against Cuomo.
According to Liss, that interview is expected to happen on Thursday.
Charlotte Bennett, another fellow former Cuomo aide, was the first woman to come out with allegations of sexual harassment against the governor.
According to Bennett’s attorney, Debra Katz, Bennett met with investigators Monday.
Liss says when she worked for the governor, about six years go, he asked her if she had a boyfriend, and made gestures that, in her eyes, objectified her. In an interview with News 8 anchor Adam Chodak last week, Liss said:
“For me there was one occasion where I was asked if I had a boyfriend by the governor. Those interactions I thought at the time were harmless flirtations, and ‘that’s how he is.’ Other women went along with it and reacted kindly and bashfully to that kind of treatment. What really did me in, in state government, was the broader work environment which was hostile. It was toxic, retaliatory, hostile. There was screaming, there was name calling. There was a sense of fear in the air that you could say or do the wrong thing at any moment and you could lose your job. It triggered an emotional reaction and a mental health reaction from me, and my family was concerned about my health and wellbeing.
I felt isolated and I felt like nobody. So I decided to share my story because it’s a small piece of a much larger and more elaborate puzzle that I think New Yorkers should be aware of. Even though there’s people out there saying “That’s how he is, he’s from a different generation.” Yeah, that’s true, but all of that happened to me before the Me Too movement, and it’s still happening. I don’t think Albany or state government, working in the executive chamber, is a safe space of young women early in their careers.”
The governor has denied all allegations that he ever inappropriately touched anyone.
Check back with News 8 WROC as we will continue to update this developing story.