TOKYO (CNN) — 7-Eleven’s parent company is buying the Speedway gas station chain from Marathon Petroleum.
Japanese retail giant Seven & i Holdings is paying $21 billion for the chain.
The cash deal is one of the biggest acquisitions in the world announced since the coronavirus pandemic hit. Seven & i Holdings says it’s the largest in the company’s history.
In addition to 21,000 convenience stores in Japan, Seven & i also has nearly 9,800 stores in the U.S. and Canada.
Shares of Seven & i Holdings dropped nearly 9% in Monday trading in Tokyo amid concern over the steep price tag of the deal.
- UAlbany men’s basketball defeats NJIT 76-66, will play Hartford
- UAlbany men’s lacrosse defeats Colgate 15-9
- NY Judge grants preliminary injunction to 90 bars and restaurants, extending curfew
- Statement win for No. 10 Syracuse over No. 3 Virginia
- FDA authorizes Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine