(NEWS10) – The New York State Police are reminding people to lock their cars after two cars were stolen in Rensselaer County. Police say the cars were unlocked and had the keys inside.
On September 3, Police arrested Shawn Guilbault, 25, of Troy, after they say he stole a car in Schaghticoke. They say he stole it from the victim’s driveway after he found it unlocked and the keys inside.
Another car was stolen from Brunswick, police say it too was unlocked with the keys inside. Troopers say they have identified a suspect and charges are pending. They do not think the thefts are related.
State Police are reminding residents to:
- Remember to lock your vehicles, even in your own driveway
- DO NOT leave valuable items inside your vehicle
- DO NOT leave your keys in your vehicle
- Keep your garage door closed and locked
If you ever see suspicious activity in your neighborhood contact State Police or your local police department immediately.
More from NEWS10:
- Blue Devils believe in miracles with late game winner over Shaker
- Shenendehowa uses second half goal to break through against Bethlehem
- Will Brown announced as new head coach and general manager of Albany Patroons
- Thunder use electric powerplay to down Railers, 6-2
- Firefighters learn school bus rescue strategies