SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Longfellows Hotel & Restaurant, located at 500 Union Avenue in Saratoga Springs, is officially closing. According to a press release, Longfellows will close on January 21, 2023.

Co-owner Steve Sullivan (Sully) comments, “A few weeks ago an offer was accepted from a group of investors/operators to purchase the Longfellows property. I believe Longfellows is in good hands. Going forward, we plan to continue to own and operate the Olde Bryan Inn for many years to come. I also look forward to time spent coaching those around me, as well as working on social service projects, some that I’ve already been involved in for many years.”

Steve and Yvonne Sullivan, and Dave Powers bought the property and first opened Longfellows Restaurant in May of 1997. The Sullivans and Mr. Powers recognized the former dairy barn to have “great bones” that they hoped to embellish. In 1998 they built the Longfellows Hotel, which added 18 rooms to the existing building. In 2003 they added another building with 32 additional rooms as well as a conference center. The Sullivans and Mr. Powers have hosted many events from fundraisers, to banquets to weddings making Longfellows a popular spot and an instrument for community outreach.

The New York State Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act requires some businesses to give early warnings of closures and layoffs to affected employees, the Department of Labor, and Local Workforce Development Boards. According to the Longfellows WARN notice dated October 24 and posted on October 31, 78 employees will be affected.

Longfellows aerial view

In respect to the Longfellows staff, Director of Human Services, Gerri Thompson, emphasized, “We’ve been transparent with our staff of 78 employees and are working diligently with our partners in the hospitality industry to place our employees in alternative industry jobs. We will continue to assist our employees in finding other meaningful employment before we close.”

Sullivan added Longfellows gift cerificates will continue to be redeemable at The Olde Bryan Inn. All diner points will be transferred to the Olde Bryan Inn and “Mug Club” members can still fill their mugs at the Olde Bryan Inn.

In closing, the owners added, “Our objective when we first opened Longfellows was first and foremost to be good stewards of the property and to those, we were here to serve. I believe we’ve met those objectives. We are very grateful for the opportunities we’ve had over the past 26 years. We especially wish to thank the community for their continued support. May God bless you and your families.” Dave, Yvonne, and Sully