SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (NEWS10) – For more than 25 years, Susan Garrett has been making the floral blankets that adorn the winner of the Travers Stakes Race. It’s a tradition she started at the Saratoga Race Course when she began making them in 1994.
Each Travers blanket is made with 750 red and white carnations.
Garrett has the help of a team of volunteers, comprised of old and new friends, that help her hand-stitch the handmade traditional item.
Together the team is able complete the blanket in four hours.
More from NEWS10
- ‘Jeopardy!’ champion Matt Amodio crosses $1 million mark: ‘This is just a childhood dream’
- Albany County coronavirus update, September 25
- 9/25/21: Fall-like Weather for the Weekend
- Shaker shrugs off second half surge from Shen to complete impressive road win
- Schuylerville wins defensive battle over Fonda-Fultonville