TROY, N.Y. - Troy city officials are blaming a local landlord who was behind on his bills for a gas leak that forced several people from their homes.
The City Water Department says the owner of One, Two, and Three Pawling Avenue was nearly one year behind on his water bills, and that he had been given a 10-day shut off notice prior to a crew arriving Monday morning.
But when public utility crews arrived, workers could not turn off the water because officials say someone had laid cement over the cap to the line. Workers had to cut through the cement, but then inadvertently nicked an underground gas line.
Tenants say the landlord was not even in the area to handle the problem because he is on vacation overseas.
“You would think the water bill the races keeping up the property are the most important things, not vacations,” said one tenant.