SCOTIA, N.Y. – Officials confirm one person was found dead at a Scotia fire Thursday night.
An apartment building caught fire around 8 p.m. Thursday on North Ten Broeck Street in Scotia. The fire coordinator said one person was found dead inside the building when crews arrived.
Officials believe the fire started in the rear basement apartment where they found the body of Jill Vanselow, a longtime employee at Jumpin’ Jacks Drive In. The fire has been ruled accidental, and that no foul play is suspected.
The fire chief says the building suffered heavy smoke damage, but wouldn't deem it a total loss. Officials are hoping residents can get back inside tonight or tomorrow morning.
Fireworks will be launched Friday in honor of Vanselow, according to the manager of Jumpin’ Jacks.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.