Colonie home a total loss after Saturday fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Colonie home a total loss after Saturday fire

Posted: Updated: Jun 08, 2014 07:28 AM
COLONIE, N.Y. - Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene of a blaze in Colonie on Saturday.

The fire broke out on Saturday afternoon at 217 Osborne Road. Part of the road had to be closed as crews battled the flames.

Thick smoke and flames were seen billowing out of the roof of the home around 2:30 p.m. Saturday. 

Dozens of firefighters from five departments responded, spraying water on the home and using a chainsaw to cut into the roof. 

Neighbors gathered outside the home to watch the scene.

“Horrible, I would never want to see it,” said neighbor Angela Sumigrey.

Fire officials say a couple owns the home, but they were not there when it started. However, a dog was in the home, but fortunately, managed to escape.

“It’s devastating, I mean, that could happen to anyone and to come home to have to face that, it’s something I never have to deal with,” said neighbor Kelly Gilligan.

Fire officials say the first responding crew was on the scene in less than five minutes. Most of the flames were concentrated to the garage but it quickly spread. Firefighters called it challenging, not just because of the heat, but because of parts of the home itself. 

"The vinyl siding on the house is a petroleum based product and once that starts burning, it's just like a can of gasoline burning. That's why you have such heavy fire spread,” said Fire Services Coordinator Richard Haack. 

Fire officials say the garage and the rest of the home were completely destroyed. 

Investigators have been on the scene to determine exactly how and where the fire started. 

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.