Jury selection begins for Adrian Thomas' re-trial - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Jury selection begins for Adrian Thomas' re-trial

Posted: Updated: May 27, 2014 11:19 AM
TROY, N.Y. – Jury selection for the re-trial of a local man, who was previously convicted of the murder of his infant son, has begun.

On Tuesday, the prosecution and defense are asking a pool of jurors questions, ultimately choosing 12 jurors to sit in on the re-trial.

Adrian Thomas was convicted of murder in 2009. He received the maximum sentence of 25 years to life in prison. 

The four-month old infant, Matthew, died in 2008 due to a head injury. 

In February, New York’s court of appeals ruled unanimously to throw out Thomas’ murder conviction. 

The state's highest court says police can go too far lying to suspects, making confessions inadmissible as evidence. The court citied the interrogation interview police conducted with Thomas in their ruling. 

In a report, the court states police lied to Thomas to coerce a confession. Investigators told Thomas to give them information that could help doctors save his son, even though at that point police knew the child was brain dead. 

The new trial will go on without Thomas’ alleged confession.

Steve Coffey, Thomas’ defense attorney, did not wish to comment on the re-trial but did say opening arguments will most likely begin Wednesday morning. 

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.