SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – A local community center has been forced to close after it was deemed unsafe.
Officials in Saratoga Springs closed the William Ford Neighborhood Center on Wednesday morning. They say they found black mold in the building. The building has been plagued in the past with water drainage and sewage issues, and is now closed indefinitely.
The building is less than 20 years old and intended for residents in the Jefferson and Vanderbuilt Terrace to use. The Saratoga Springs Housing Authority runs the facility.
Mayor Joanne Yepsen says she toured it recently with a building inspector and noticed some problems. Further testing revealed the problem was mold.
"The building was built in a location where one side of it is literally two feet under the ground and so the water issue has always been there. As its progressively getting worse we now have mold programs, which are not healthy for anybody to be inside the building," she said. "We need a better facility for these residents to have programs. We need Saturday morning programs for the kids. We need night classes for the adults. There's so much we could do in there and yet the building is really unsafe and unusable."
Yepsen said an engineer from HUD will need to examine the building. Then officials will determine whether the building will be renovated or demolished and rebuilt.