Fire chief revives woman in home improvement store - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Fire chief revives woman in home improvement store

Posted:

GLENMONT, N.Y. – A fire chief is being called a hero after he helped a woman who went into cardiac arrest.

Elsmere Fire Chief and Town of Guilderland paramedic Jim Reagan was in a Lowe’s Monday morning when a woman in her late sixties went into sudden cardiac arrest. He said he went into the store on his day off for some birdseed and a light bulb when he noticed a small crowd gathering around the floor.

“A woman who had just fallen to the floor and the Lowe’s staff was coming to check on her, so I stopped to check on her, too,” he said. “At that point, we realized she wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a pulse.”

The store did not have an automated external defibrillator, or AED, and no one else knew how to perform CPR. Reagan stepped in and got the woman’s pulse back.

“So we did the CPR for maybe two minutes or so, and then all the sudden we got a pulse back, and she was breathing again,” he said.

However, she had another arrest while waiting for Delmar-Bethlehem EMS to arrive.

“And we began CPR again for another minute or so until the pulse came back,” he continued.

Reagan continued to perform CPR until EMS arrived, and she was transported to the hospital.

“As of this morning, she’s still in a medically induced coma, but she has been reported to make some progress,” Reagan said. “So, in this case, I was just in the – I guess you say – right place at the right time.”


Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.