Improper disposal of hot charcoals caused apartment fire - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Improper disposal of hot charcoals caused apartment fire

Posted:
GUILDERLAND, N.Y. – Fire officials say the cause of the Guilderland apartment fire over the weekend was due to improper disposal of hot charcoals.

On Sunday morning, the Westmere Fire Department responded to a fire at the Regency Park Apartments before 3:30 a.m. Upon arrival, the fire was fully involved at the rear of a three-story apartment building. 

Fire officials say the fire was under controlled within 45 minutes. 

An investigation determined that the fire was accident and started on the back porch of a third-floor apartment. The fire began due to the improper disposal of hot charcoals.

Six apartments were affected by the fire. There were no injuries, however, a pet cat did not survive the fire. 

Westmere Fire Chief Henry Smith reminds everyone that cooking grills should only be used outdoors, away from a building. The charcoals should be left to cool completely before they are thrown away in a metal container. 

Westmere was assisted by volunteers from the Fort Hunter, Guilderland, Guilderland Center, McKownville, and North Bethlehem Fire Departments.
 

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.