STUYVESANT N.Y.- A local racing enthusiast is starting over from scratch after an overnight fire consumed his workshop on Tuesday.
David Main said he was working his third shift when he received a call around 1 a.m. from his wife that his garage was on fire. A passerby saw the garage, which was previously converted from a barn, engulfed in flames and knocked on their door to let them know.
Fourteen local fire companies were called into the scene on Route 21 in Stuyvesant.
Assistant Fire Chief Ryan Hogencamp said safety was their number one concern. The barn was full of cars and machines. A settling propane tank led to a number of explosions. The fire was extinguished until about 4 a.m.
"The fire fighters worked hard. They kept it away from the house," said Main.
Main says he restored the converted barn and was using it as a shop for his passion, building modified racecars. He is well known in the local racing circuits, especially in Lebanon Valley, where he said he has assisted several times.
Main believes that the fire was electrical, since the building had been built in the 1930s.
No one was injured.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.