COLONIE, N.Y. – First responders rescued a disabled woman Monday trapped in her home as it was on fire.
The fire started around 7:15 p.m. on Albany Street in Colonie. The blaze had a blind woman trapped inside the home.
"She was – upon our arrival – we could hear her screaming," Midway Fire Department Fire Chief Meaghan Sammons said.
Sammons was one of the first responders to the fire. Flames were showing through the roof and tarpaper.
"We responded for a reported structure fire," Sammons continued. "When we arrived, we had a working kitchen fire – grease fire."
Sammons said the woman was home alone cooking dinner for St. Patrick's Day.
"She said she was cooking some corned beef and cabbage, and she believes that's what happened," Sammon said.
The fire then spread and got out of control.
"We had smoke and fire showing from the roof," the chief continued. "When the guys opened the door, they did have visible fire."
Multiple agencies went inside the home to rescue the woman.
"We ended up sending four or five guys in with the help of Colonie Police, Colonie EMS, and our guys," Sammons said. "We went in and rescued."
Sammons said they're not heroes. They were just doing what they are relied on to do.
"It's pretty terrifying, but you got to get your crew together and do what you go to do," she said.
Firefighters put out the flames once they got the woman outside.
"Stretch a line to the door, they went in, knocked down to the kitchen, went up to the attic to make sure we had no extension," Sammons explained. "We got some holes in the roof, and we went from there."
The woman was taken to a hospital for precaution. No other injuries were reported.
National Grid turned off power and gas to the home. Officials do not have a definitive cause for the fire.
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.