NEW YORK, NY - Great works of Irish and Irish American fiction will find their way into the hands and hearts of thousands of New Yorkers on St. Patrick's Day as the Irish Arts Center gives away up to 10,000 free books written by noted Irish and Irish American authors on the 4th annual Irish Arts Center Book Day.
From 7 a.m. on Monday, members of the New
York City Council will be joined by Irish Arts Center leadership and
over 40 Irish Book Day 2014 volunteers at eight different transit
hubs across the five boroughs of New York to hand out books by KEVIN BARRY,
FLANN O'BRIEN, MAEVE BINCHY, SEAMUS HEANEY in Spanish translation,
and many others, including children's books, in celebration of Ireland's
national holiday, St. Patrick's Day.
Irish Arts Center is working with New York City Council Members in each borough to make this only-in-New York event happen, including: Daniel Dromm and Jimmy Van Bramer in Queens; Brad Lander and Carlos Menchaca in Brooklyn; Corey Johnson in Manhattan; Deborah Rose and Assembly Member Michael Cusick in Staten Island; and Ritchie Torres (Bronx).
"I am delighted to be working with the Irish Arts Center to share Irish culture and the power of literacy with all our City's residents," said NYC Council Member Brad Lander (Brooklyn).
"I'm proud to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in my district with the Irish Arts Center in their citywide effort to promote literature and culture, said NYC Council Member Carlos Menchaca (Brooklyn). "Sunset Park has long been home to many of our city's Irish immigrant families, and I look forward to promoting the rich history of Irish literary achievements."
Free Irish books will be distributed on Monday, March 17th starting at 7:30 a.m at each of the following 8 locations:
1. Manhattan #1: with Corey Johnson at 3 pm: 18th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues in front of Quest to Lear (351 West 18th street)
2. Manhattan #2: Southwest corner of 110th Street and Lexington Avenue, 6 Train
3. Brooklyn #1 with Carlos Menchaca: Southwest corner of 36th street and 4th Avenue on B,D, N, R trains at Sunset Park
4. Brooklyn #2 with Brian Lander: Northeast corner of 7th Avenue and 9th Street, F and G train station
5. Queens #1 with Daniel Drom: 37th Road "Diversity" Plaza between 74th and 73rd Streets in Jackson Heights. The Roosevelt Avenue station has an entrance right in the middle of the Plaza for the E, F, M, R and 7 trains
6. Queens #2 with Jimmy Van Bramer: Southeast corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 61st Street at Woodside / 61st Street stop on the 7 train
7. The Bronx with Ritchie Torres: Northwest corner of Bedford Park Blvd and Grand Concourse
8. Staten Island with Deborah Rose and Michael Cusick : St. George Terminal Staten Island, 1 Bay Street, Staten Island, NY 10301
341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.