Crews battled two fires in Greene County, pets perish - NEWS10 ABC: Albany, New York News, Weather, Sports

Crews battled two fires in Greene County, pets perish

Posted: Updated: March 12, 2014 10:14 AM

CAIRO, N.Y. – Fire crews were kept busy Tuesday night as they battled two fires in the Town of Cairo.

The first fire occurred at an apartment building on Route 85. The fire chief said the fire started in the kitchen, and five families were displaced. There were no injuries; however two cats died in the fire. Authorities say the cause of the fire was because an electric stove was left on.

A short time later another kitchen fire broke out on Route 32. Four people were displaced, including three adults and a 15-year-old. The American Red Cross is assisting the family. There were no injuries, however, a family dog did die in the blaze. Officials say the fire started in the microwave.

The chief said both buildings were occupied at the time of the fires, though no one was injured.

Six fire companies were called in between the two fires. 

The Red Cross said that in regards to the apartment fire, they have assisted a family of two adults, a single adult, a family of one adult and two teenagers, a family of two adults and a five-year-old, and a family of two adults and a three-year-old have been assisted.

Powered by WorldNow

341 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204

Telephone: 518.436.4822
Fax: 518.426.4792
Email: news@news10.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Albany, Inc. A Media General Company.